"Most people are other people." -- Oscar Wilde
1a. Tell us about yourself! Give us your name or a common handle, your age, and your e-mail address. We need this to keep track of people. Make sure the email in this section matches the email in your account.
1b. If you play characters at Dream Chasers MUSH, please list them. Also, please tell us any prominent alts that you play and have played at other MUSHes. We don't want your full RP history, but we want a brief idea so we know who you are.
"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be." -- Orson Scott Card
2. Give us the +finger profile of the character that you're applying for, if they haven't been made before! If you want changes to an existing +finger, please let us know that too.
- Name: Please give us the @name you'd like on the game. We want first and last, where appropriate.
- Gender: Whatever gender is appropriate for your character.
- Race: The character's race. Please see Races file.
- Role: Drifter, Antagonist, or Bystander, as per our policies.
- Class: A quick, one-to-three word summary of what your character does for a living. This can be a little tongue-in-cheek, but we usually don't want a joke. (Exceptions for comedy relief exist.)
- Groups: The Groups a character are in. If they're an Antagonist, this is likely their large antagonist group, but Drifters can join player-made groups if the leader approves.
- Hometown: The character's current hometown; this isn't necessarily where they are really from, but the place they publicly call home.
- Quote: One or two lines that the character might say.
- Profile: Give us a paragraph about your character. It should discuss their background, major personality traits, allegiances, and notable abilities. Try to keep this brief; the essays come in the next part of the application.
"Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everyone I've ever known." -- Chuck Palahniuk
3a. Tell us about your character's background. Where did they come from and how did they end up where they are? If they're a Drifter, tell us how they became a Drifter.
3b. Tell us about how your character acquired their ARMs, sorceries, and techniques. This is an important part of Dream Chasers and we want to know that information. Please see their respective files for more information.
"It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story." -- Patrick Rothfuss
4. Tell us about your character's personality. We want to hear about how they interact with others, what their goals are, and what drives them. If they are a Drifter, we want to know why they wander Filgaia and Lunar, in search of the truth of the past. If they are instead aligned with an antagonist group, we want to know what drives them to serve their masters and help them further their goals. Tell us about why they do what they do. Don't limit yourself to these questions, but instead give us a comprehensive look at who your character is.
"Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it." -- Bruce Lee
5a. Tell us how your character fights! What mixture of fighting styles do they use? We don't need a lengthy essay, but we want a solid idea of what they can do in a fight. We also want an idea of how they will grow. If they have alternate forms, such as a Gear, we also want to know about that. If they have any special abilities to gain some day, we want to know about that here.
5b. Please give us your character's Gunslinger stats and attacks, using the stat block below. You can choose to have us make statistics for your characters, but we insist that you name all of your attacks. They also can select four Force Actions. They get 140 Character Points (CP) to spend on stats and Personal Skills. They also get 70 Attack Points (AP) to spend on Deathblows and Signature Attacks; they must have at least one Signature Attack. Please see the Chargen file to design your character. Each form, if your character has multiple, needs to be designed.
- Personal Skills:
- Force Abilities:
- Attack Name: Deathblow/Signature, Sorcery/ARMs/Technique, Any Attack Flags
Alternately, you can share the character sheet located here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VZ411unRJvk7Qz8jsuAuBFs8VYTJ-2Utbf-p-j87jio/edit?usp=sharing
Please make a copy, then link us to the copy in the application.
"Adventure is allowing the unexpected to happen to you. Exploration is experiencing what you have not experienced before." -- Richard Aldington
6a. Tell us about your character's abilities in exploring a dungeon! Give us an idea of what they excel at and what they aren't so great at, when they enter a ruin filled with traps, monsters, and puzzles. Typically characters won't have multiple forms for the Digger system, but we may allow it for special occasions.
6b. Please give us your character's Digger stats and Tools, using the stat block below. You can choose to have us make statistics for your characters, but we insist that you name all of your Tools. Characters start with no free Tools but two Tool Slots, plus any they buy with Digger Points (DP). They get 28 DP to spend on dungeon abilities, Tools, and Tool slots. Remember you can make a one-time purchase of two Tools for 5 DP at creation. Please see the Chargen file to design your character.
- Tool Slots:
- Tool Name: Ability, Rating, Effect
Alternately, you can share the character sheet located here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Y_-y1W1Ad-xS1PkZl4FXKDNzgEW9dA8tWq_BDaUbd4/edit#gid=0
Please make a copy, then link us to the copy in the application.
Resources and Miscellaneous
"Being rich is a good thing." -- Mark Cuban
7a. Does your character have some resources or clout that aren't represented by your statistics? Do they have a secret in their background, which might one day prompt a plot? Please tell us here! We understand these things can change and develop in play, but to the greatest extent possible, we want to know what's up with your character up front.
7b. Do you have plans and hopes for your character that staff should know about? Do you have a concern not covered by one of the other questions, which you want to bring up? This is the place to tell us, if you want to give us some information going into the application process.
All done? Please send your application to email@example.com. It should have the following subject line: "FC/OC - Drifter/Antagonist/Bystander - Character Name." Good luck!
We also have a plain text application.