Difference between revisions of "2019-10-26: New Crew"

From Dream Chasers
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "*'''Log: New Crew''' *'''Cast:''' Character :: Pearl, Character :: Hilde, Character :: Day Muirwall, Character :: White Knight Leo, Character :: Naelle Sylki...")
 
(No difference)

Latest revision as of 00:54, 14 November 2019



DG: A party led by Pearl is now entering The Thames.
DG: Party formation is now over. An Entry Challenge will now be drawn and displayed to the party.
================================<* The Thames *>================================
==================<* CHALLENGE - Fix It Up and It's Yours! *>===================
|Type: Entry       |Dungeon Ability: Wits      |Challenge Rating: 2          | 
---------------------------< Challenge Information: >---------------------------
 "Gahahaha!"                                                                   
                                                                               
 A Walrus beastman of impressive stock, dressed in a royal red Captain's coat  
 and tricorne hat, walks up towards you. He appraises you and your team        
 appreciatively and bellows in a hearty manner, "So you're the new Drifters    
 assistin' us today, huh? Welcome aboard!"                                     
                                                                               
 He gestures and says, "If you fine folks aren't strapped up with a Gear of    
 your own, you'll want to check in with engineerin' and see if they can give   
 you a loaner! Maybe I'll even let you keep it! Hahaha!"                       
                                                                               
 Indeed, he has a point -- a lot of the tasks around the Thames require the    
 use of a Gear with the usual scale of their operations. Whether or not you    
 own one, you head down to the engineering hall and discover frustrated        
 mechanics gathered around a fallen Gear seated in a heap in one corner.       
                                                                               
 "Oh... welcome," speaks a penguin Beastman. "I'm Hans, the first officer. As  
 you can see, we discovered this Gear here, but the servo joints and           
 actuators are all busted. You have any know-how in fixing this up? We don't   
 want to just dismantle it..."                                                 
                                                                               
 The Gear doesn't look hopeless. With your collective knowledge, technical     
 expertise, tools or just flat-out magic, perhaps you can get this one back    
 up on its feet.                                                               
=Dungeon Conditions: Treasure=================================================
<Pose Tracker> Pearl has posed.


    Mere moments ago, the members of Althena's Guard had been confronting a hellion in the depths of an ancient shrine of the Althenan faith, hidden under the waters of Spira. The hellion defeated, a portal opened beneath their feet. All became white.

    And now, they are standing on the deck of a large, very mechanical looking vessel. The deck is a busy place, and covered in allo manner of workers, humans and beastmen both.

    Guardswoman Pearl looks around the area, fists clenched, ready to drop into combat at a moment's notice. Fortunately(?), no one immediately tries to kill them. She relaxes her stance, and looks to her compatriots. "I do not believe we are in Spira anymore." She says, looking up at the sky. No, this feels awfully like Filgaia right now.

    Before she can say much more, there is a booming laugh, and Pearl whirls to face it, only to find a walrus of a man, quite literally. He is dressed as an authority figure, with a fancy looking pipe held in his mouth. He does not remove it to speak. "So you're the new Drifters assistin' us today, huh? Welcome aboard!"

    Pearl's eyes dart to her commander. It's not her call to make with the White Knight present, but any pretense of subtlety could be lost in a moment here.

    The Captain, however, keeps talking. "If you fine folks aren't strapped up with a Gear of your own, you'll want to check in with engineerin' and see if they can give you a loaner! Maybe I'll even let you keep it! Hahaha!"

    Yes, Pearl thinks. Definitely Filgaia. That is more reassuring than being whisked away to a strange new world she had not been on before. "...I believe we should take his advice." Pearl says, quietly. "It will allow us to get our bearings."

    Smash cut to engineering, where a penguin man points to a rusty, decrepit, vaguely humanoid pile of junk. Pearl stares at the machine. It is well beyond her realm of expertise. This will take several hours, even if they knew what they were doing. The martial artist walks over to one of the legs of the gear, and pokes it experimently. Plating falls off at her touch. She looks back at the other guards. "I have no understanding of how this machine works." She says, frankly.

    A good start, then.

DG: Pearl has contributed a Wits Basic Action toward her party's challenge, Fix It Up and It's Yours!.
<Pose Tracker> Hilde has posed.

They go from the feeling of cool, pleasant water, to salty sea air. That much is obvious, but to Hilde, there is something a little more to it than that. Or, perhaps less, would be more accurate. It feels like there's something missing.

Like there was something gone that she had grown so accustomed to she barely noticed it, and its absence was like a great void. It was...startling. It takes Hilde a second.

She blinks, as the light begins to clear from her vision and her surroundings gradually begin to become clear.

"...Is everyone there? Are you all right?" Hilde calls out. She carefully rises to her feet, looking toward Pearl. "Not in Spira...? But, then...where are we...?"

She has never been to Filgaia before. She has only heard rumors and stories, of the adventurers that had come from it and what they were capable of. She has no reason to assume that's where they are - and, soon enough, her train of thought is derailed by a large, jovial fellow.

"...Pardon?" She asks. She's hopelessly lost. Was this a dream? Though normally able to deal with quite a bit, this is all perhaps a little much for her. So, she follows along in a daze, until they find themselves staring at what looks like a beaten up suit of armor for a person many times her size.

"I...do believe I need a moment to sit down." She decides. "I do not think I will be of much use here, regardless - unless you wish me to cut it down in which case, by all means, request my assistance."

And then, she goes to do just that.

DG: Hilde has contributed a Wits Basic Action toward her party's challenge, Fix It Up and It's Yours!.
<Pose Tracker> Day Muirwall has posed.

"We're no longer in Spira, are we," a young man murmurs in a low, rich voice, quiet and composed.

One of the Guard contingent present at Macalania was a man in burnished full plate armour, carrying a shield quartered in red and black with a white pegasus forcene upon its face. The young knight flicks his head, tossing back sandy hair and drawing in a breath of the air.

It feels dead to him. The quality in the wind doesn't carry something that should be there. And overhead--

Day Muirwall, Knight of Mourningside Abbey, stares with pale green eyes at the sliver of silver thinly visible in the sky overhead. It occurs to him what it is immediately.

"...This is the Blue Star," he says with the poleaxed dullness of someone who has never been to Filgaia before.

He looks over his shoulder quickly, as if to check on someone - and someone laughs, but he doesn't listen at first. All he's looking for is a head of auburn hair. A flash of it in his peripheral vision is what he needs to see, and he finds it, exhaling with relief.

The captain speaks, and Day frowns a little, remembering the lingo they were taught about this world. "...A Gear...."

    --SMASH CUT TO ENGINEERING--

Resting a gauntleted hand at his chin, Day looks up at the humanoid machine, outwardly a picture of calm. He finally sighs and takes a few steps forward, shouldering his shield and resting his hands on one of the plates. "Its armour isn't very well attached," he says in that low, deep voice, kneeling to pick up the plate Pearl knocked off.

There's that flicker of auburn again. A young woman with long curly hair, in a peasant dress, with round glasses, of normal proportions but so quiet and unassuming that it's easy to miss her. She looks up the huge robot, considering a moment.

"...I think this is controlled from inside, Sir Day," she says, her voice very soft.

DG: Day Muirwall has used his Tool Vess's Guidance toward his party's challenge, Fix It Up and It's Yours!.
<Pose Tracker> White Knight Leo has posed.

    TEN SECONDS AGO

    White Knight Leo presses his palm to a holy relic, and feels its power thrumming beneath his fingers. The might of the world pours into him, and under his breath, he whispers a fervent prayer: "O Goddess, deliver us."

    The light swallows him, and everyone with him.

    NOW

    A pair of Thames deckhands lean against a bulkhead, shooting the breeze as they wait for their shift to begin. With no warning whatsoever, brilliant blue runes etch themselves on nothingness, and space rips open. White Knight Leo finds metal deck beneath his feet, a bright sky above, and two very startled Beastfolk in front of him. Wounded, damp, and already on-edge, he doesn't cut the heroic figure he usually does--but realization hits him, and genuine gratitude glimmers in his eyes. He looks around, then up at the sky. Leo whispers two words: "Praise be."

    He's not alone. That helps. Leo glances to Pearl, and nods once. "No, we are not. The G--"

    It's at that moment that the Captain makes his grand appearance. It takes Leo all of two seconds to decide to play along, regardless of whether or not it's a good idea. "Yes! Yes, we are your adventurers, your Drifters, your helpful aides. In fact, we will help you only for more information about the charming and... very rusty place you have here. Very lived-in." As he rambles, Leo glances at each of the others in turn. No one's hurt. Things are already better than the worst-case scenario. "Now, you need only show us to the problem and--"

    Leo trails off. "What is that?" he says. "Is there some sort of rust-plague here? Ah, it doesn't matter. Naelle, can you--make that whatever-it-is, that Gear, run again?"

DG: White Knight Leo has contributed a Wits Basic Action toward his party's challenge, Fix It Up and It's Yours!.
<Pose Tracker> Naelle Sylkirk has posed.

"Yup, this'll be Filgaia all right!" Naelle responds to Day's flummoxed comment.

"But the whole...metal boats thing, that's new. And interesting! I'm going to have to take some notes on this baby's design for future reference!

so saying, the beast woman begins scampering around examining things, tapping at them, knocking on them with her wrench, scratching at the metal to scrape away some rust...

And then someone mentions a chance to go repair a Gear and there is a doppler-effect during the smash cut of a "Nyaaaaaaaaaaa" sound.

Once she has caught sight of the Gear, Naelle is nearly bursting with pride as she puffs out her chest, beaming in delight, and flips her wrench into her hand in a practiced pose. "This is my time to shine! Just you wait, Boss, and I'll have this thing purring again in no time!" Her tail swishes back and forth and uh Naelle you're actually the one purring right now.

She hasn't had formal education much on Gears beyond what Kaguya told her...but she's secretly been trying to design a really cool one to be piloted by the Boss and she's the personal mechanic to the Boss's Gear and thus reducing her Althena number to 1. Or 2. But the point is, she's not actually helpless when it comes to banging these things back together. She even has some design work stashed in her book of blueprints!

As she works, her tail swishes happily from side to side and she repeats "nya nya nya" in a singsong tone, which is not singing, technically.

Wouldn't do to be singing while one works...for the Goddess Althena!

DG: Naelle Sylkirk has used her Tool Big Book o'Blueprints toward her party's challenge, Fix It Up and It's Yours!.
================================<* The Thames *>================================
==================<* CHALLENGE - Fix It Up and It's Yours! *>===================
|Type: Entry       |Dungeon Ability: Wits      |Challenge Rating: 2          | 
---------------------------< Challenge Information: >---------------------------
 "Gahahaha!"                                                                   
                                                                               
 A Walrus beastman of impressive stock, dressed in a royal red Captain's coat  
 and tricorne hat, walks up towards you. He appraises you and your team        
 appreciatively and bellows in a hearty manner, "So you're the new Drifters    
 assistin' us today, huh? Welcome aboard!"                                     
                                                                               
 He gestures and says, "If you fine folks aren't strapped up with a Gear of    
 your own, you'll want to check in with engineerin' and see if they can give   
 you a loaner! Maybe I'll even let you keep it! Hahaha!"                       
                                                                               
 Indeed, he has a point -- a lot of the tasks around the Thames require the    
 use of a Gear with the usual scale of their operations. Whether or not you    
 own one, you head down to the engineering hall and discover frustrated        
 mechanics gathered around a fallen Gear seated in a heap in one corner.       
                                                                               
 "Oh... welcome," speaks a penguin Beastman. "I'm Hans, the first officer. As  
 you can see, we discovered this Gear here, but the servo joints and           
 actuators are all busted. You have any know-how in fixing this up? We don't   
 want to just dismantle it..."                                                 
                                                                               
 The Gear doesn't look hopeless. With your collective knowledge, technical     
 expertise, tools or just flat-out magic, perhaps you can get this one back    
 up on its feet.                                                               
=Dungeon Conditions: Treasure=================================================
===========================<* The Thames - Round 1 *>===========================
====================< Results - Fix It Up and It's Yours! >=====================
Player                               Exhaustion                      Pass/Fail
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pearl                               0 --(5)--> 5                   Fail
Investigate                         0   Wits    Effects: BASIC                
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naelle Sylkirk                      0 --(0)--> 0                   Pass
Big Book o'Blueprints               2   Wits    Effects: Enlighten            
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hilde                               0 --(5)--> 5                   Fail
Investigate                         0   Wits    Effects: BASIC                
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
White Knight Leo                    0 --(0)--> 0                   Pass
Investigate                         0   Wits    Effects: BASIC                
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Muirwall                        0 --(0)--> 0                   Pass
Vess's Guidance                     1   Wits    Effects: Cleanse              
-----------------------------------< Party >------------------------------------
Leader: Pearl                       0 --(25)--> 25                 Pass
Conditions: Treasure(1)
Effects: Cleanse|Enlighten(1)
===============================< Dream Chasers >================================
DG: The party led by Pearl has passed this challenge! The party gained 25 exploration! If anyone needs to use party
management commands, do so now. Otherwise, the next round's GM may begin the next round with +dungeon/draw.
<Pose Tracker> Pearl has posed.


    Pearl's eyes widen slightly as Leo negotiates away any money, or perhaps a meal, in exchange for... information. She doesn't bury her face in her palms, but she dearly wants to.

    "The Blue Star." Pearl clarifies for Hilde, as Naelle mentions Filgaia. That probably won't help, but she does so anyway.

    After a few moments of watching Naelle work, and deciding not to touch the gear, Pearl just vanishes for an hour or so. She's not really contributing anything useful anyway, it's hard to notice she is gone.

    Hilde's decision to sit back and let other works and try and catch her thoughts may have been a wise one. It's a very overwhelming set of facts to take in, despite the stories.

    Day manages to fit the armour plating back on, and with the assistance of his offsider, manages to get much of the plating into a more functional condition.

    Leo, the most experienced gear pilot that the Guard have at their disposal at the moment, also manages to assist with getting the machine working. The controls don't match Hashmal that well, but he can figure out enough to get bits of it moving.

    The real MVP is Naelle, the mechanic and her book of blueprints descending into the servos and actuators with a joy for the mechanical. Over the next few hours, the three of them get the Gear back into functioning order.

    Sometime during that, Pearl reappears with flasks of water. See, she was definitely helping. Really. She looks at the slowly rpairing gear. "Impressive."

    Still, she cuts a glance to the woman in peasants clothes, then back to Day. "I fear this is our first deployment together, Guardsman. I am Pearl, of Horam. I did not catch either of your names." She has definitely taken note of her new comrade's companion. Interesting.

DG: Hilde has drawn a new Challenge.
===============================<* The Thames *>===============================
================<* CHALLENGE - Hybrid - The Greed for Speed *>================
|Type: Exploration |Dungeon Ability: Agility   |Challenge Rating: 3          | 
--------------------------< Challenge Information: >--------------------------
 You may or may not have heard of the Thames' passion for card games --        
 including its own homebrew game "Speed", involving human-sized cards flung    
 onto a stack at high speeds. But sometimes, much like Drifters that dig too   
 far, scientists that plunge too deep... the passion simply boils over.        
                                                                               
 Because someone's invented Speed... for Gears!                                
                                                                               
 The cards are now Gear-sized, and the game is played out on the deck. One     
 false move, one card flung the wrong way, and you might just take out the     
 mess hall or shatter a window. The stakes are higher than ever. Some of you   
 may... may just want to be on-hand to protect any bystanders.                 
                                                                               
 Are you geared up for this?                                                   
=Dungeon Conditions: Slow, Stupify============================================
<Pose Tracker> Hilde has posed.

"The Blue Star... I see." Hilde murmurs, as it's explained to her. It does help, in that it explains where they are, but it opens up an entirely new set of problems she needs to ponder over, which means she ends up doing not much of consequence.

Eventually, the Gear is fully in working order.

"So, you were able to get it working...? Most impressive - I did not think such a thing would be able to move under its own power." Hilde says, rising. But, she isn't the only one watching - some members of the Thames' crew have been keeping an eye on it, too.

"So, looks like you got it working again! Good, good..." The one at the front says - a Rito, by the looks of him. A grin spreads over his face. "...Care to break it in with a little game of Speed?"

Speed, as it turns out, is a card-game requiring one to be quick of both foot and mind. The Thames variant involves massive numbered cards, which must be walked over and sent flying back into the stack - but only if the corrent number is showing. Normally, it was played on foot...but if there was one thing the people of the Thames enjoyed, it was one-upping themselves on the ridiculousness scale.

That, and booze. These two things may possibly be related.

Regardless, soon enough, the game is ready. Hilde elects to stand on the sidelines, watching with a frown.

"...I have a bad feeling about this. I would recommend caution." She says. She draws out her Rope Lance, just in case - holding the lance side in one hand and the rope side in another.

When giant metal titans like this fought, anything could happen.

DG: Hilde has used her Tool Rope Lance toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - The Greed for Speed.
<Pose Tracker> Naelle Sylkirk has posed.

Naelle drank an energy drink to pep her up from all that hard work. She was not expecting giant cards being chucked around. "Nyaaaaaa," she exclaims as she scampers hither and yon to avoid being smashed. She's not good at picking places to stand that aren't next in line for ker-smashing, but with cat-like grace, she's going to do her best not to get actually hurt.

DG: Naelle Sylkirk has used her Tool Energy Drink toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - The Greed for Speed.
<Pose Tracker> Day Muirwall has posed.

Blessedly, they're not alone. Once they're out of earshot of the captain, Day straightens a little. "Sir Leo," he says before inclining his head in a deep bow, the simple formality helping him to centre his mind. "It's good that you made it."

Naelle, at least, seems cheery about all of this. Blinking after the catgirl, the young knight watches the catgirl spring into action.

By the time Pearl does ask, the auburn-haired woman has seemingly dipped out of sight - or at least she's standing mostly in Day's shadow, vanishing behind the greater bulk of his armour. The swordsman raises his eyebrows, but nods to the martial artist neverthess. "Day Muirwall of Mourningside Abbey in Rolance," he says quietly. "Vess is someone I'm keeping an eye on."

With the Gear in working order, Day sets his hands on his hips, taking a step back to watch the machine move. Both eyebrows come up at the sight of it. He's seen Leo's machine before - he's even seen the ones their Veruni allies brought with them - but somehow, it's more impressive to see how Naelle brought this one together.

"Good luck, Sir Leo. I imagine your skills are up to this sort of thing," he comments before taking ahold of something in his off hand. It's a fluffy white charm shaped like a tail.

The speed he backpedal with is quite startling for someone in full armour.

DG: Day Muirwall has used his Tool Shiro's Tail toward his party's challenge, Hybrid - The Greed for Speed.
<Pose Tracker> Pearl has posed.


    Pearl takes the information Day offers with a nod. "Understood." She doesn't say much more, but she notes down the information. Her attention, however, is rather quickly taken up by the game being arranged.

    "...This seems like something the goddess would disapprove of." Pearl says quietly. She does nothing to stop the game being set up, however. Instead she watches as the massive cards are moved into position, and the opponent's gear pilot readies themselves. The cards seem heavy and and difficult to maneuver. A dangerous set up. Not to mention the gears trundling around.

    It seems rather like someone could die of carelessness. This somehow offends Pearl. Killing should be something done purposefully, or at least in a targeted fashion. Killing someone with carelessness means you don't get to enjoy it.

    She does not speak these thoughts, but her brows clearly furrow. She looks at the game board and flexes her hand, readying the grapnel attached to her wrist. "Let your skill carry you to victory, Commander."

    Of course, if Pearl's taking part, skill certainly won't be all they rely on. After all, those cards are heavy, but could be shifted out of the way of a grabby gear. With, say, a grapnel and a fierce pull from whoever is on the other end. That would certainly make them harder to grab.

DG: Pearl has used her Tool Wrist-Mounted Grapnel toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - The Greed for Speed.
<Pose Tracker> White Knight Leo has posed.

    It's been a while since Leo was in the cockpit of a Gear, but he did learn a few things from his very first stint piloting one. The White Knight dusts off his hands, and turns to the one Guard who wasn't with him in the Temple. "Sir Day, is it?" Leo says, flashing a confident smile. "There is nothing to fear. This is hardly the first time we've been to this place--not this place, precisely, but the Blue Star is not unknown to us. Stay close, and do as we do."

    Of course, it isn't long before the group ends up getting talked into a strange and fascinating activity. Rather than climb into the Gear immediately, Leo--in a conscientious move--takes a rope from his belt and ties it around a pair of pipes jutting up from the Thames' deck. It's an improvised walkway, at best, but it might keep passersby from wandering into the area. With the 'barricade' set up, Leo clambers up the Gear's body, and disappears into the cockpit. A shudder runs through the metal giant's body, and it rises to its feet with a series of uncomfortable grinding noises. It reaches for the first card with almost exaggerated grace, picks it up, and throws.

    Nobody tell Leo this is anything more than a fun test of skill.

DG: White Knight Leo has used his Tool Rope Ladder toward his party's challenge, Hybrid - The Greed for Speed.
===============================<* The Thames *>===============================
================<* CHALLENGE - Hybrid - The Greed for Speed *>================
|Type: Exploration |Dungeon Ability: Agility   |Challenge Rating: 3          | 
--------------------------< Challenge Information: >--------------------------
 You may or may not have heard of the Thames' passion for card games --        
 including its own homebrew game "Speed", involving human-sized cards flung    
 onto a stack at high speeds. But sometimes, much like Drifters that dig too   
 far, scientists that plunge too deep... the passion simply boils over.        
                                                                               
 Because someone's invented Speed... for Gears!                                
                                                                               
 The cards are now Gear-sized, and the game is played out on the deck. One     
 false move, one card flung the wrong way, and you might just take out the     
 mess hall or shatter a window. The stakes are higher than ever. Some of you   
 may... may just want to be on-hand to protect any bystanders.                 
                                                                               
 Are you geared up for this?                                                   
=Dungeon Conditions: Slow, Stupify============================================
==========================<* The Thames - Round 2 *>==========================
==================< Results - Hybrid - The Greed for Speed >==================
Player                               Exhaustion                      Pass/Fail
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pearl                               5 --(20)--> 25                 Fail
Wrist-Mounted Grapnel               3   Agility Effects: Rally                
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naelle Sylkirk                      0 --(15)--> 15                 Pass
Energy Drink                        2   Agility Effects: Cleanse and Efficient
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hilde                               5 --(20)--> 25                 Fail
Rope Lance                          2   Agility Effects: Quicken              
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
White Knight Leo                    0 --(15)--> 15                 Pass
Rope Ladder                         2   Agility Effects: Quicken              
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Muirwall                        0 --(20)--> 20                 Fail
Shiro's Tail                        2   Agility Effects: Quicken              
----------------------------------< Party >-----------------------------------
Leader: Pearl                       25 --(10)--> 35                Fail
Conditions: Slow(2)|Stupify(2)
Effects: Cleanse|Quicken(1)
==============================< Dream Chasers >===============================
DG: The party led by Pearl has failed this challenge! The party gained 10 exploration! If anyone needs to use party
management commands, do so now. Otherwise, the next round's GM may begin the next round with +dungeon/draw.
DG: Day Muirwall has drawn a new Challenge.
=================================<* The Thames *>=================================
================<* CHALLENGE - Hybrid - Graceless Crane Stance *>=================
|Type: Exploration |Dungeon Ability: Brute     |Challenge Rating: 2          | 
----------------------------< Challenge Information: >----------------------------
 *CRASH*                                                                       
                                                                               
 The Thames shakes for a moment, and a Goron next to you winces and gos,       
 "There goes Crane Number 3 again..."                                          
                                                                               
 With some time before your next assignment, you investigate at the site of    
 Crane Number 3. The tower is still standing, but the jib has collapsed and    
 is sticking out of the ocean -- and the counterweight has collapsed on-deck.  
                                                                               
 A Gear'll be required to lift the jib back up from the ocean and hold it in   
 place... but an on-foot team will need to make the actual repairs to restore  
 the connection and bring the crane back online.                               
                                                                               
 Can you work quick enough while not overheating your Gear's carrying          
 capacity?                                                                     
=Dungeon Conditions: Exhaust==================================================
<Pose Tracker> Hilde has posed.

The game is a disaster waiting to happen - but in the end, maybe they were already expecting that. It's difficult to move properly when there's a pair of Gears moving at high speeds. Leo's rope keeps passersby from wandering into it, but there's still the problem of massive Gear-sized cards being flung about.

Hilde runs herself ragged drawing bystanders out of the way, and Day's going to have to move quite a bit to be safe. Naelle, at least, has more than enough energy to speed herself out of there safely.

Pearl, meanwhile, elects to try and cheat. But, as she soon finds out, the cards are extremely heavy - they're Gear-sized, after all. She might still be able to pull them enough to make a difference, but it'll be a risk on her part - how much is she willing to risk getting spotted?

Hilde, at least, is busy enough that she doesn't spot her. She'd probably have something to say about it if she did.

Leo, meanwhile, plays the game properly - or, rather, participates in the test of skill properly. He actually does pretty well, and soon enough, the game is concluded. It's a pretty close score, all told, but in the favor of the Rito.

"Not bad, not bad! For a first-timer, you came pretty close. A bit more practice, and you could go far." He comments, nodding to himself.

"I'll get this cleaned up - you lot can go back to what you were doing before!" He says.

Which, in this case, means back to work.

<Pose Tracker> Day Muirwall has posed.

Come to think of it, how did Day catch up with the group? Did he challenge the entire Temple alone?

When Leo flashes that smile, Day nods deeply back to him, his own smile quieter and tighter. "I will follow your lead, Sir Leo." It's not the first time he has.

Shield slung over his shoulder, Day steps back to watch the gigantic Gear trundle down the deck. "He does it with a great deal of skill," he murmurs, his usual calm doing a lot to suppress inner feelings of amazement. While he was with the Guard on the Mi'ihen Highroad and in a few other battles, Day hasn't engaged much with matters mechanical. His preference has been a mixture of training and prayer.

"Sir Day," a quiet voice murmurs from just behind him - Vess, drawing close for just a moment. "Over there--"

There is a loud *CRASH.* The Thames shakes violently, and Day starts, reaching out to support Vess with a hand on her arm. She widens her eyes at him, and he manages a smile before looking towards the sound.

"There goes Crane Number 3 again," sighs a nearby Goron - and indeed, not far away, a crane tower stands, the jib collapsed and sticking out of the ocean with the counterweight still on deck.

A frown crosses Day's face as he moves across the deck. Vess hangs back, soon lost in the crowd, as the young knight kneels near the counterweight, then looks up the crane tower. This seems simpler than piloting a Gear, at least. "I see what happened. It fell off those brackets up there. Sir Leo, if we could use the mechanoid to raise the jib back into place, we could bolt it back into place by hand."

He looks over to Naelle, sliding his gauntlets off and drawing on a pair of gloves. "Do you have any advice for us?"

DG: Day Muirwall has contributed a Brute Basic Action toward his party's challenge, Hybrid - Graceless Crane Stance.
<Pose Tracker> Naelle Sylkirk has posed.

Naelle flips her wrench, beaming again. "This is what wrenches are made for!" she says.

It's practically her catchphrase. CATchphrase. Get it?

She sets to work cheerfully once again.

DG: Naelle Sylkirk has used her Tool Trusty Wrench toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - Graceless Crane Stance.
<Pose Tracker> Hilde has posed.

It isn't long before they're put to work again - the Thames shakes, and it seems like one of the cranes has broken. This poses a bit of a problem.

Hilde joins the others at ground level, and she takes note of the situation. She studies it consideringly. She didn't know much about construction work, but as long as it just required a pair of strong arms, she was more than capable of contributing.

"Hold a moment, if you would!" She says. "It has been a long day. I am certain we could all use a quick pick-me-up."

And with that, she reaches for the pouch at her waist. It doesn't look like much, but there's magic to it - the nature of which becomes obvious as she pulls out a covered pan, much larger than the pouch should by any means be able to contain.

The moment she removes the cover, a delicious aroma wafts out. They're finger-foods, mostly - small, but somehow still as fresh and hot as they were when they were first cooked. Not to mention delicious. It's just the thing they need to chase away the fatigue they might be experiencing.

And then, once everyone's had their fill she returns the pan to her pouch and gets back to work. She might need one of the more knowledgeable to guide her, but she can swing a hammer just as well as she can swing a sword, it turns out.

DG: Hilde has used her Tool Magical Pouch toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - Graceless Crane Stance.
<Pose Tracker> White Knight Leo has posed.

    "Good man," Leo says. His voice is tinged with static, broadcasting as he is from the Gear's intercom. He's eager to leave the game behind--he's not sore about losing, honest, it's just that the Gear's controls didn't work--but wary. What is this rust heap going to throw at them next?

    The deck shakes. Leo sits bolt upright in the Gear's cockpit, and lets the machine's auto-balancers take care of the rest. The rusty hulk sets its feet, and rides the sudden tremor out with surprising grace. "What in the Goddess's name was that?" The White Knight pushes a footpedal, and the Gear starts trundling after the others. To his credit, Leo is careful to keep the machine at a leisurely walk, while simultaneously keeping his troops in view. The Goron mechanic explains the situation. Leo frowns. "Not to worry, good sir," the big Ronso(?) says. "We'll have it fixed up and ready before you can blink."

    The Gear turns, and steps up to the very edge of the Thames' deck--as close as Leo dares to get to it, at any rate. The machine reaches for the end of the jig, stretches, and stops with an ugly groaning noise. Leo frowns. He glances at the machine's status readout, and sees jibberish. But the groan seemed to emanate from below him, in its waist somewhere. Leo reaches into his pockets, and comes up with both hands encased in dark, amber-studded gauntlets. The White Knight rises from his seat, and slams a fist into the floor hard enough to leave a dent. Something shudders, audibly. Did it work?

DG: White Knight Leo has used his Tool Earthgrasp Gauntlets toward his party's challenge, Hybrid - Graceless Crane
Stance.
<Pose Tracker> Pearl has posed.


    Pearl elects not to be seen, having misjudged the weight. It galls her to lose, but that can be remedied later. Instead the martial artist positions herself out of the way of chaos, occasionally moving people out of the way who get too close. She's a bit rough with them, hurling some people bodily, but 'safely' out of the way.

    The crane collapses, and Pearl remains unflinching. She stares at the base, but it sounds like this is a regular occurrence. "Hm." And then they are volunteered to assist, and she sighs, quietly. Still, she does not turn down Hilde's magically prepared light lunch. She devours the food quickly and ravenously- she still hasn't had a proper meal since before they descended into Lefay. "My thanks."

    And then she digs out her clawed gloves, and moves towards the base. They're sharp and bizarre, but give her some extra grip. "Tell me what needs repairing." She says, to Naelle in particularly. "Otherwise I fear I will not be of use."

DG: Pearl has used her Tool Wolf Claws toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - Graceless Crane Stance.
=================================<* The Thames *>=================================
================<* CHALLENGE - Hybrid - Graceless Crane Stance *>=================
|Type: Exploration |Dungeon Ability: Brute     |Challenge Rating: 2          | 
----------------------------< Challenge Information: >----------------------------
 *CRASH*                                                                       
                                                                               
 The Thames shakes for a moment, and a Goron next to you winces and gos,       
 "There goes Crane Number 3 again..."                                          
                                                                               
 With some time before your next assignment, you investigate at the site of    
 Crane Number 3. The tower is still standing, but the jib has collapsed and    
 is sticking out of the ocean -- and the counterweight has collapsed on-deck.  
                                                                               
 A Gear'll be required to lift the jib back up from the ocean and hold it in   
 place... but an on-foot team will need to make the actual repairs to restore  
 the connection and bring the crane back online.                               
                                                                               
 Can you work quick enough while not overheating your Gear's carrying          
 capacity?                                                                     
=Dungeon Conditions: Exhaust==================================================
============================<* The Thames - Round 3 *>============================
==================< Results - Hybrid - Graceless Crane Stance >===================
Player                               Exhaustion                      Pass/Fail
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pearl                               25 --(0)--> 25                 Pass
Wolf Claws                          2   Brute   Effects: Strengthen           
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naelle Sylkirk                      15 --(0)--> 15                 Pass
Trusty Wrench                       2   Brute   Effects: Strengthen           
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hilde                               25 --(15)--> 40                Fail
Magical Pouch                       1   Brute   Effects: Cleanse              
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
White Knight Leo                    15 --(0)--> 15                 Pass
Earthgrasp Gauntlets                3   Brute   Effects: Fanfare              
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Muirwall                        20 --(0)--> 20                 Pass
Force                               0   Brute   Effects: BASIC                
------------------------------------< Party >-------------------------------------
Leader: Pearl                       35 --(20)--> 55                Pass
Conditions: Exhaust(1)
Effects: Cleanse|Strengthen(1)
================================< Dream Chasers >=================================
DG: The party led by Pearl has passed this challenge! The party gained 20 exploration! If anyone needs to use party
management commands, do so now. Otherwise, the next round's GM may begin the next round with +dungeon/draw.
<Pose Tracker> Day Muirwall has posed.

Day nods respectfully back to Naelle, letting her act as the foreman. Althena knows she knows more about this sort of thing than he does.

He turns as Hilde begins to hand out the food. "Thank you," he says quietly, taking a piece respectfully. He lifts his eyes--

His expression freezes as he watches Hilde more closely, etching her face into his mind and matching it to a name. ...Knight Hilde....

    ...I'd heard she was with Lady Kaguya's army. And now she's here.
        Damn it all....

Outwardly, his thoughts manifest as a momentary tension in his face, one he forces beneath his air of reserve as he looks away and sets to work. For lack of familiarity with tools, he takes a wrench in hand and begins rightening bolts as Leo begins to maneuver the jig back into place with help from the Gear. Pearl proves more than able to contribute, her claws enabling her to climb up and assist a clinging Goron with welding several metal parts back into place as Leo supports the jib. Hilde contributes by driving several metal anchors into place with several thumps of a hammer.

With a puff of breath, Day steps back after several moments. "Do you think that will be enough, Lady Naelle?" he asks quietly.

Somewhere, a cat-eared man shouts cheerily - and the crane begins to ascend again, the jib back in place. Day allows himself a tight smile, satisfaction overriding his earlier worries.

DG: White Knight Leo has drawn a new Challenge.
================================<* The Thames *>================================
================<* CHALLENGE - Hybrid - Hell Custom (ver. EW) *>================
|Type: Exploration |Dungeon Ability: Combat    |Challenge Rating: 3          | 
---------------------------< Challenge Information: >---------------------------
 "We got a situation!"                                                         
                                                                               
 A distress call crackles loud over the radio. A loud monstrous screech        
 offers the Thames its first-line warning that a giant monstrous creature is   
 approaching. A siren starts blaring, and warning lights pulse throughout the  
 hallways.                                                                     
                                                                               
                               -= WARNING! =-                                  
             < A Huge Battleship 'Deathscythe' is Approaching! >               
                                                                               
 This is a Deathscythe, a Gear-sized aquatic stingray monstrosity with a       
 skull for a face, infamous for drawing salvage and fishing ships into a       
 deadly waltz into the endless depths of hell.                                 
                                                                               
 A Gear can capture its attention and more importantly give it a lasting       
 impression. You'll want to focus efforts on just communicating escape plans   
 to the citizens stuck above deck as well!                                     
=Dungeon Conditions: Maim, Injure=============================================
<Pose Tracker> White Knight Leo has posed.

    Thanks in no small part to Naelle's repair work, the Gear is able to hold the jig in place while the other Guards bolt it to the counterweight. Leo watches them through the Gear's cameras, frowning slightly as he notices a change in Day's body language. It's probably just the shock, Leo thinks.

    A tremor shakes the deck. The crane sways, but mercifully, it does nothing more than that. "What now?" Leo growls. The radio in the Gear's cockpit crackles to life--and at the same time, so does every PA speaker in the area.

    "We got a situation!"

    A hideous screech splits the air. Something breaks the water's surface, looming over the Thames' deck like an awful specter--it's a sea monster, a ray-like thing with a hideous, grinning death's-head for a face. Someone nearby starts to scream. Passengers and crew alike drop whatever they were doing, and flee.

    "To arms!" Leo shouts. "Sir Day, Lady Hilde, see to the innocents!" Leo scans the cockpit panel for any sign of weaponry, but there isn't any--this is a salvage Gear, after all. He's going to have to improvise. The Ronso(?) touches two fingers to the crest around his neck, and focuses. A wave of pearlescent light washes out from within the Gear, bathing it and the surrounding people in holy radiance.

    The Gear winds up, and drives a fist right at the monster's face!

DG: White Knight Leo has used his Tool White Dragon Crest toward his party's challenge, Hybrid - Hell Custom (ver. EW).
<Pose Tracker> Naelle Sylkirk has posed.

Naelle's eyes go wide as saucers at the attack of the sea monster. The Boss has orders for the others, Hilde and Sir Day, to go help the civilians, but Naelle didn't hear any orders for her.

Which means she's included in the general call to arms.

Naelle's trembling, now, holding her wrench in front of her two handed in a nice lightsaber style hold, barely keeping it steady. More or less from there, she's frozen up, though. She's not retreating, but advancing is well out of the question. "H-holding position," she reports, her voice wavering.

DG: Naelle Sylkirk has contributed a Combat Basic Action toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - Hell Custom (ver. EW).
<Pose Tracker> Day Muirwall has posed.

Something screams. Day's shoulders tense beneath the heavy plate of his armour.

Pivoting towards the water, the young knight sets his jaw at the sight of the immense creature surging out of the waves. As civilians screams and the Gear begins to move, all Day can do is look up and listen to what Leo calls out.

See to the innocents.

    ...Will I fail again...?

"Yes, my lord," Day says aloud, starting forward. Doing this alongside Hilde....

He pushes his bitter doubts to one side, glancing back into the crowd. He can see a flicker of auburn curls, half-hidden among a group of Beastmen dashing away. Day shoulders past a Goron, around a lizardman, and then reaches back, drawing the shield slung there. It's a tall kite shield, quartered in red and black, a white pegasus forcené emblazoned across its face. Holding the shield up, he raises his voice.

"FRIENDS AND GOODMEN!" Day's low, mellow voice has incredible range, and it rises like a thunderbolt that practically radiates command authority. "WITHDRAW BEHIND US!"

With his shield held high, Day takes up station at the edge of the ship, positioning himself as a bulwark between the innocents and the fight. He bows his head, free hand moving through the air as he recites a few words. "Blessed Althena, protector of innocent, lady of silver, may You breathe your blessing upon this blue world and the innocents who have yet to know Your mercy. This I beseech. This I beseech...."

As he prays, a wind begins to kick up around Day, the scent of spring clinging to it. It's a gentle breeze, carrying the kiss of a sunny day - and it ripples through the crowd of innocents, bringing with it a soothing kiss and a fortifying stamina, ensuring that as they flee, they are calmed and protected.

DG: Day Muirwall has used his Tool Kite Shield toward his party's challenge, Hybrid - Hell Custom (ver. EW).
<Pose Tracker> Hilde has posed.

Hilde doesn't notice the change in Day, either - she's too distracted by the tremor that rocks the Thames.

"Another crane?" She questions...and then, the speaker sounds, and there's a screech as a massive creature breaks the waters surface.

"Understood!" Hilde calls out in response to Leo. And so, she draws out a battle standard bearing the symbol of Althena's Guard and plants it in the ground. As she does so, a blue aura suffuses her entire body.

"All who are not making their way to an armor, to us! My companions and I shall lead you to safety! You have nothing to fear!" Hilde calls out.

She starts leading everyone to safety, helping them take cover behind Day - but, at one point, the monstrosity manages to break away from the fight.

It moves to bring a claw down on the Thames, where the civilians are currently headed...but suddenly, in the moment, Hilde is there.

She raises her shield, and the moment the Deathscythe's claw strikes her shield, it is stopped dead. Hilde's pale-grey left eye - her only good one, the right covered by a metal eyepatch - shines brilliantly and her aura flares up as she pushes back with her shield. The Deathscythe is forced backward as all of the force it put into the attack is sent back into itself, and then she swings her sword, sending a crescent of blue light that tears into it with greater force than it seems like it should and sends the beast recoiling back toward Leo and his Gear.

Fortunately, Day's sorcery helps keep the calm even during all this - panic is the last thing they need right now, the situation as precarious as it is.

DG: Hilde has used her Tool Battle Standard toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - Hell Custom (ver. EW).
<Pose Tracker> Pearl has posed.


    Pearl leaps down from her spot on the crane, landing gracefully. It seems stable. Pearl looks over at Naelle- her knowledge, perhaps, is useful. But still...

    And then comes a problem she is entirely more suited to. The order is given, and Pearl moves next to the gear. Doing the rescue thing is for other people. She's here to kill a giant, and the opportunity is offered to her.

    This would be much easier if she, too, had a gear. But gears feel like cheating. If she is going to fight, she is going to fight by her own means. She pulls a small scroll from her gi, and unwinds it. The characters are simple, the message simpler. It is not entirely necessary, knowing the words upon it from deep in her soul.

    Embrace your hatred.

     She looks towards Naelle again, shivering and shaking. Pearl looks disgusted. "Do you intend to do anything more than cower this time?" The words are cold and vicious. There is no resentment held back.

    Feed your anger.

    Pearl marches forward, placing the scroll away again. "Watch and learn, if you have the capacity." She starts rushing forward, and light glints off her claws. She casts an eye to one side, that same hatred being pointed at someone in the crowd. And then it is turned towards the Deathscythe.

    Destroy your enemies.

    Pearl leaps for the giant beast, with claws out. She leaps atop it, and quickly isolates herself by clambering atop the beast. This is, quite frankly, suicidal.

    Or an excuse to get out of sight. She is unlikely to hurt it with her claws alone.

    But with something else...

    Shadow magic obscures her, and she tries to disappear. And then she thrusts an open palm, into the beast's back. Is that a glint of purple? No. Just the shadows, surely.

DG: Pearl has used her Tool Mantra of Rage toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - Hell Custom (ver. EW).


================================<* The Thames *>================================
================<* CHALLENGE - Hybrid - Hell Custom (ver. EW) *>================
|Type: Exploration |Dungeon Ability: Combat    |Challenge Rating: 3          | 
---------------------------< Challenge Information: >---------------------------
 "We got a situation!"                                                         
                                                                               
 A distress call crackles loud over the radio. A loud monstrous screech        
 offers the Thames its first-line warning that a giant monstrous creature is   
 approaching. A siren starts blaring, and warning lights pulse throughout the  
 hallways.                                                                     
                                                                               
                               -= WARNING! =-                                  
             < A Huge Battleship 'Deathscythe' is Approaching! >               
                                                                               
 This is a Deathscythe, a Gear-sized aquatic stingray monstrosity with a       
 skull for a face, infamous for drawing salvage and fishing ships into a       
 deadly waltz into the endless depths of hell.                                 
                                                                               
 A Gear can capture its attention and more importantly give it a lasting       
 impression. You'll want to focus efforts on just communicating escape plans   
 to the citizens stuck above deck as well!                                     
=Dungeon Conditions: Maim, Injure=============================================
===========================<* The Thames - Round 4 *>===========================
==================< Results - Hybrid - Hell Custom (ver. EW) >==================
Player                               Exhaustion                      Pass/Fail
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pearl                               25 --(0)--> 25                 Pass
Mantra of Rage                      2   Combat  Effects: Embolden             
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naelle Sylkirk                      15 --(10)--> 25                Fail
Fight                               0   Combat  Effects: BASIC                
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hilde                               40 --(10)--> 50                Fail
Battle Standard                     1   Combat  Effects: Embolden and Fanfare 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
White Knight Leo                    15 --(0)--> 15                 Pass
White Dragon Crest                  2   Combat  Effects: Embolden             
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Muirwall                        20 --(0)--> 20                 Pass
Kite Shield                         1   Combat  Effects: Embolden and Fanfare 
-----------------------------------< Party >------------------------------------
Leader: Pearl                       55 --(20)--> 75                Pass
Conditions: Injure(2)|Maim
Effects: Embolden(1)
===============================< Dream Chasers >================================
DG: The party led by Pearl has passed this challenge! The party gained 20 exploration! If anyone needs to use party
management commands, do so now. Otherwise, the next round's GM may begin the next round with +dungeon/draw.
DG: Pearl has drawn a new Challenge.
================================<* The Thames *>================================
==================<* CHALLENGE - Hybrid - Fuel in the Fire *>===================
|Type: Final       |Dungeon Ability: Agility   |Challenge Rating: 2          | 
---------------------------< Challenge Information: >---------------------------
 The day has come to a close. A bell soundly rings out in the direction of     
 the cargo bay -- it's feeding time for the Gears! There's a hearty laugh      
 from the workers, salvagers and deck crew all cheer resoundingly as they      
 steer their rides towards the hangars and dismount. There's a jolly           
 sensation as people work, whistling as they scrub armor plates, clean inner   
 joints and--                                                                  
                                                                               
 "WHOA!"                                                                       
                                                                               
 A pelican beastman gets knocked off his feet as an errant Gear fuel hose      
 springs loose from his Gear's fuel feed. A crew member attempts to arrest     
 the snake-like hose, but gets smacked on the nozzle and falls flat on the     
 gas!                                                                          
                                                                               
 "Help!!"                                                                      
                                                                               
 The hose itself is far too large for any Drifter to arrest on foot -- you'll  
 need your Gear for that! But while the Gear's reigning in the pressurised     
 hose, there's lots of crew members to save and evacuate!                      
=Dungeon Conditions: Suffer===================================================
<Pose Tracker> White Knight Leo has posed.

    Naelle's work holds, for now. The Gear's fist connects with the monster's head. A thunderous crack splits the air as bony plates fracture and splinter--the Deathscythe reels back, howling as it drops into the sea. The deck rocks again--a few civilians stumble and fall, but Day's timely use of sorcery stops what could've been a crowd crush. Calmed, the crowd makes for the stairs belowdecks in a swift, orderly fashion.

    "Stay on guard," Leo says. He grips both control sticks tightly, and keeps his eyes glued to his cameras. "I don't think we've--"

    A thunderous rush of water. The Deathscythe breaches, and sweeps a claw down at the deck. As massive as it is, it's more or less the creature's namesake. It could cut clean through the deck, or through a crowd of civilians, with equal ease. It doesn't cut Hilde's shield. The Deathscythe is, shockingly, undeterred--it puts its weight behind the claw, pushing--

    Pearl leaps to the attack, and vanishes. There's no time for Leo to cry out. The next thing he knows, the Deathscythe lets out a shriek of agony, falls back, and drops into the sea. "Report!" Leo says.

<Pose Tracker> Pearl has posed.


    As the Deathscythe falls, there is a whistling sound, inaudible under the monster's horrible screeching. Something whips out, and latches on to the shoulder at Leo's gear. It's a rope, which pulls taut. And then a person rushes straight for the gear, and flips over to land on it's shoulder.

    "Guardswoman Pearl reporting, commander." She jumps down from the gear, and looks towards the sea. "I believe the threat is dealt with."

    SOME TIME LATER

    The wreckage of Deathscythe's attack is cleared, and things are already returning to normal. The crew have been put back to work in cleaning- no time to be lauded as the awesome heroes they clearly are. A bell rings out, and the workers cheer. "Alright, people, quittin' time!" yells one of the workers, who waves to Leo's gear and points towards the hangars. "Time to wrap up!"

    Pearl blinks a bit. "Do they cease work so early? The sun is still in the sky." It's starting to set, the sky reddening, a wonderful view of the sea at sunset. The order is given, and she starts walking. "Let us end the day, then. We shall see if the Captain has our information."

    In the hangar, people are laughing and cheering. And then there is a shout. And then more shouting. And then a gear fuel hose starts swinging wildly out of the way, and Pearl jumps up and out of the path of the highly flammable fuel.

    "Help!!" comes the cry, and Pearl sighs. Can these people not take care of themselves with anything? "It seems we are not done yet." Pearl casts out with her grapnel, and swings forward. It's a little too obvious to NOT help people here. Frustrating, but she moves to pull some people free of the chaos. She sure as hell isn't being careful with them, though.

DG: Pearl has used her Tool Wrist-Mounted Grapnel toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - Fuel in the Fire.
<Pose Tracker> Day Muirwall has posed.

Flicking his hair back with a toss of his head, Day lowers his shield a little. His expression is sober as he glances at Pearl. "That isn't necessary. Lady Naelle has shown the courage to serve Althena in her own way. I could not do what she does. For that, I admire her."

When Leo does touch down, Day straightens, squaring his shoulders. "The civilians appear to be safe, Sir Leo.

They clear the wreckage. Day puts his back into it.

As the workers turn in, the young knight slips a gauntlet off, pushing fluffy sandy-blonde hair away from his forehead. "They're people," he answers Pearl placidly, shrugging gently. "If that's the life they would like to lead, so be it. I for one will train and fight so that they have the right to rest before the sun sets."

But their work isn't done yet. Gear fuel begins to spray. Day starts, sweeping an arm to one side to guide a couple of civilians out of the path of it. His auburn-haired companion is in the little tangle of onlookers, and she ducks into the young knight's penumbra, to safety. "...Sir Day, they're in trouble...."

Day nods grimly, shouldering his shield again. "Vess, stay here. I'll be right back." He looks to the young woman one last time, flashing a small smile, before starting forward again. His hand dips to his belt, once again gripping the small tail he's clipped there - and when he does move forward, it's with a speed that seems like he's not wearing armour at all.

There's no exasperation or frustration in his body language. Not helping didn't even occur to him.

Gear fuel is spraying everywhere, but Day shrugs his way through it, counting on his heavy kasten-brust armour to protect him from any incidental spray. Catching sight of a waving crew member, he darts forward, moving to pick up the person - a shaggy warthog Beastman. "Please hold on to me, sir," he advises before sliding his arms beneath the man and, with a grunt, hoisting him up onto his shoulders in a fireman's carry. He's quite quick about it.

He'll make several trips. The speed-boosting power of the Shiro's Tail gives him that time edge.

DG: Day Muirwall has used his Tool Shiro's Tail toward his party's challenge, Hybrid - Fuel in the Fire.
<Pose Tracker> Hilde has posed.

The day is winding down. It's certainly early, but Hilde won't complain - it's already been a long, long day for all of them. They could use the rest - though, there is the little matter of where, but...that is something they will have to deal with later.

Hilde stands with the others as the Gears are cleaned and refueled. She looks on with curiosity.

"I cannot help but be impressed. I would never have thought such armors could be possible." She admits. However, as things are wrapping up, there's a problem - one of the fuel hoses comes loose.

Hilde reacts quickly - she hurls her rope out, catching someone who's in the impact zone and pulling them to safety.

"Everyone, evacuate the area in calm and careful manner!" She shouts, moving to help whoever seems like they need it next. She keeps her shield at the ready, ready to defend if that hose comes near any of them.

DG: Hilde has used her Tool Rope Lance toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - Fuel in the Fire.
<Pose Tracker> Naelle Sylkirk has posed.

Naelle burst into tears as soon as Pearl had snapped admonishment at her. Her tail lashes from side to side, curling around her. But she didn't retreat in the face of danger!

Then Sir Day speaks up in her defense--he calls her Lady Naelle and says he admires her--and now she's kind of blushing because she hasn't really ever been called Lady Naelle or offered up as a subject of admiration before and she kind of likes that and is she purring oh goddess she's purring and--

There's a fuel line yanked!! Naelle pulls out a bottle with faded label reading EXTREME on it, chugs, and then sets to work dashing around with catlike speed and agility, helping get everyone out of the way! If Sir Day admires her then maybe the Boss will be impressed, too--but now she's got to do her very best!

For Althena!

DG: Naelle Sylkirk has used her Tool Energy Drink toward her party's challenge, Hybrid - Fuel in the Fire.
<Pose Tracker> White Knight Leo has posed.

    "Pearl," Leo says, looking at his subordinate through the closest camera. She can't see him smile, but the relief is audible in his voice. "Well done."

    SOME TIME LATER

    Leo squints at his machine's dashboard--specifically, at digital readout for the fuel gauge. There are all of two bars left in the twenty-bar tank. "The machines require fuel," he says, for the benefit of those who might not be as acquainted with Gears. "But not wood or coal, or sorcerous power--liquid fuel, conveyed to the tank through--"

    Leo's eyes widen as he sees the hose come loose, writhing like an angry snake. That can't have happened on purpose. The Gear stomps forwards, grabbing for the hose. Something groans ominously in the cockpit, above Leo's head--and then a piece of paneling swings down, clipping the tip of his horn. Leo's head whips to the side in time to avoid any further injury, but the panel is now aggressively jostling him, and threatening to fall off for real.

    Leo takes a gamble. He rises from his seat, pulls out another length of rope, and ties the thing back into place. It's not the most elegant fix, but it should hold.

DG: White Knight Leo has used his Tool Rope Ladder toward his party's challenge, Hybrid - Fuel in the Fire.
================================<* The Thames *>================================
==================<* CHALLENGE - Hybrid - Fuel in the Fire *>===================
|Type: Final       |Dungeon Ability: Agility   |Challenge Rating: 2          | 
---------------------------< Challenge Information: >---------------------------
 The day has come to a close. A bell soundly rings out in the direction of     
 the cargo bay -- it's feeding time for the Gears! There's a hearty laugh      
 from the workers, salvagers and deck crew all cheer resoundingly as they      
 steer their rides towards the hangars and dismount. There's a jolly           
 sensation as people work, whistling as they scrub armor plates, clean inner   
 joints and--                                                                  
                                                                               
 "WHOA!"                                                                       
                                                                               
 A pelican beastman gets knocked off his feet as an errant Gear fuel hose      
 springs loose from his Gear's fuel feed. A crew member attempts to arrest     
 the snake-like hose, but gets smacked on the nozzle and falls flat on the     
 gas!                                                                          
                                                                               
 "Help!!"                                                                      
                                                                               
 The hose itself is far too large for any Drifter to arrest on foot -- you'll  
 need your Gear for that! But while the Gear's reigning in the pressurised     
 hose, there's lots of crew members to save and evacuate!                      
=Dungeon Conditions: Suffer===================================================
===========================<* The Thames - Round 5 *>===========================
====================< Results - Hybrid - Fuel in the Fire >=====================
Player                               Exhaustion                      Pass/Fail
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pearl                               25 --(0)--> 25                 Pass
Wrist-Mounted Grapnel               3   Agility Effects: Rally                
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naelle Sylkirk                      25 --(0)--> 25                 Pass
Energy Drink                        2   Agility Effects: Cleanse and Efficient
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hilde                               50 --(0)--> 50                 Pass
Rope Lance                          2   Agility Effects: Quicken              
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
White Knight Leo                    15 --(0)--> 15                 Pass
Rope Ladder                         2   Agility Effects: Quicken              
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Muirwall                        20 --(0)--> 20                 Pass
Shiro's Tail                        2   Agility Effects: Quicken              
-----------------------------------< Party >------------------------------------
Leader: Pearl                       75 --(35)--> 110               Pass
Conditions: Injure(1)|Maim|Suffer(1)
Effects: Cleanse|Quicken(1)
===============================< Dream Chasers >================================
DG: You have overcome the dungeon's trials! This run is a success!
DG: The party led by Pearl has successfully explored The Thames!
================================<* The Thames *>================================
==================<* CHALLENGE - Don't Harp Oon It Too Much *>==================
|Type: Discovery   |Dungeon Ability: Conclusion|Challenge Rating: 1          | 
---------------------------< Challenge Information: >---------------------------
 "Gahahaha!"                                                                   
                                                                               
 The Captain of the Thames appears again as you finish up for the day. He      
 takes a long drag from his pipe and winks (given his really fuzzy appearance  
 as a walrus, it kinda looks more like blinking).                              
                                                                               
 "You and your folks have been a real great help. I hear you're on some real   
 difficult journeys ahead of you. Here, have this as gratitude from all the    
 crew of the Thames!"                                                          
                                                                               
 You obtain the keys to the Gear you helped refurbish at the start of the day  
 -- it's yours now! Give it a great name if you haven't yet already. Or if     
 you already own your own Gear, perhaps you can hand it off to someone who     
 sorely needs a new ride.                                                      
                                                                               
 In addition, the Captain commissions an underwater-use weapon to be sent      
 with you -- such as a large harpoon ARM or a cannon fitted to fire            
 torpedoes. Perhaps these weapons will be useful if you ever catch yourself    
 in an ocean skirmish.                                                         
                                                                               
 (OOC: If you don't already possess one, you obtain a Gear, whose shape,       
 functionality and design is up to you! You can apply for a new form in your   
 next Advancement Application.)                                                
=Dungeon Conditions: Treasure=================================================
<Pose Tracker> Pearl has posed.


    THEN

    Pearl does not seem to have felt even the slightest bit bad for making Naelle cry. What a jerk. She simply looks at Day. "On the battlefield, she is a liability. Perhaps this time was safe, but it will not always be the case. Not all our enemies will give us quarter to protect her while fighting for our own."

    BACK TO NOW

    In the chaos of the spray, Pearl nonetheless pulls people up and to safety, even if it crowds up the cat walks a little.

    Day's unnatural speed saves many, as he rushes across the field, bravely pulling people from the line of fire while his armour keeps him safe from thje worst of it.

    Hilde valiant throws her rope out to those in danger, hauling them to safety with a show of strength and power, before setting herself to defend any from the high pressure gasoline spray with her shield.

    Naelle races around the hangar, pulling people to safety, those small and not fast enough to run out of the way on their own. Where others bring strength, Naelle brings a nimbleness that would be hard for others to match.

    Leo, meanwhile, wrestles with the hose with his gear, holding strong against it, even as he is nearly knocked from the gear. Quick thinking, and some strong knots, holds the fuel line into place, securing it until the fuel dispenser can be shut down.

    Between them, there are a lot of people who could have been injured that weren't today.

    As the group reconvene, The Captain of the Thames makes himself known with a 'Gahahaha!'

     "You and your folks have been a real great help. I hear you're on some real difficult journeys ahead of you. Here, have this as gratitude from all the crew of the Thames!"

    A ring of gear activation keys is slung to Leo, as the one obviously in charge, and Pearl looks at them, and shakes her head. "As for your information, why don't you head on up to the mess hall! Surely you're all hungry, and the crew can tell you what you need!"

    He lets out another laugh. "Anything else, we can sort it out over a drink!"

    The Captain walks off and away from the Hangar.

    "...I believe we should take him up at least partly on his offer." Pearl says, watching in his wake. "We have been working all day. It would be wise to eat." She's not food obsessed because she went a week surviving on what scraps she could steal from a travel agency. Definitely not.